On Saturday, May 28th, the centenary celebration of Saint-Yzans-de-Medoc's monument to the dead was held in the presence, among others, of Fabrice Thibier the sub-prefect, the deputy Benoit SIMIAN, General Rodrigues and some elected officials from nearby municipalities.
Ernest Brion, the then mayor, chose to honor "the memory all those brave Saint-Yzans children who died on the field" during the First World War. The marble memorial plaques were placed at the boys' school by the "Forward" gymnastics club in 1915. They listed the names of the young soldiers who died and their places of death. 28 soldiers will ultimately lose their lives.
The monument project was approved in 1920. The monument was inaugurated on May 28, 1922. It was painted again in 1932 and then again in 1935. In 1953, plaques were added to the monument in order to remember the victims of Second World War. Then, in 1959, 1983 and 1991, plaques were added to the monument in recognition of the algerian fighters. This year, the monument was restored and used for the ceremony. It was then followed by a lunch party attended by about a hundred people.