Champions League: Is that it for Seoane? Bayer bosses are silent after the setback

None of the bosses wanted to answer what the next defeat means for coach Gerardo Seoane.

Champions League: Is that it for Seoane? Bayer bosses are silent after the setback

None of the bosses wanted to answer what the next defeat means for coach Gerardo Seoane. Bayer Leverkusen's club boss Fernando Carro preferred not to speak publicly after his last offensive statements at night. Sports director Simon Rolfes also kept a low profile after the 0: 2 in the Champions League at FC Porto.

And so only Seoane, who was about to quit, spoke. But the Swiss couldn't answer the most pressing question either: Was that it for him? Or will he still get his job final on Saturday in the Bundesliga against FC Schalke?

"Now it's time to look ahead again, to take the positive things with us," said the 43-year-old. What else could he have said? At the time, he probably wouldn't even have known what was going on for him. Will it go on for him? Immediately after the next setback, all he had left was the sporting analysis of the defeat at the Estádio do Dragão.

Seoane spoke of a "completely different performance" than the 0: 4 debacle last Friday at Bayern. "I think we've created a lot of opportunities for the situation we're in, and you have to reward yourself for that." But Bayer didn't.

Rumors about Seoane successor

The Werkself should have scored, especially in the first half. However, a goal by Callum Hudson-Odoi (15th) was disallowed because Robert Andrich had previously committed a foul in midfield. Shortly before the break, Patrik Schick (45th) then missed a penalty. "It's hard to explain why we lost that game," said Hudson-Odoi. "We played well and had our chances, but in the end we went home with nothing." But it was also true that Bayer became weaker and weaker after the break. Because of Atlético Madrid's 2-0 defeat in Bruges, a big step towards the round of 16 was missed.

Seoane was then the only one of those responsible who made any comments. And practically at the same time, the first rumors surfaced as to who could become his successor in Leverkusen. According to a report by the US television channel ESPN, former Bayern professional Xabi Alonso is the favourite. There was also no statement from Rolfes or Carro. That could only change in the course of Wednesday.

Yorum yapabilmek için üye girişi yapmanız gerekmektedir.

Üye değilseniz hemen üye olun veya giriş yapın.

NEXT NEWS