2019 was the year when Jon Lee-Olsen told his teammates and the rest of Denmark, that he is gay.
Ishockeymålmanden Jon Lee-Olsen wrote history, when he, as the first Danish male sportsprofil jumped out of the rolling cameras in the TV2-program "Go' aften live" in October.
But Jon Lee-Olsen wrote not only history.
He defied his own fear of being frozen out of the ishockeykulturen and being heckled both on and off the ice.
the Fear proved to be unfounded.
- It has been a great feeling to stand out, and I have been incredibly happy with it.
- There have been a pat on the back, great respect and a lot of people who think it is the game that I dared to stand up in this environment and tell you about my privacy, he says.
However, he has also met with hateful comments from people who do not believe that it is correct to be a homosexual.
- But it is not people that one should listen to, he says.
Jon Lee-Olsen has scored more peace of mind, after that he can be more open about its relationship to teammates, as well as in the public.
- I will not go and save me so much more. I wish I had done it before, but right now it feels too perfect for me.
Thailand, Mexico, Canada and the UNITED states are some of the countries from which people have written to him to tell their own personal stories.
- It has been nice for me to know that there are many people who feel that it is large and important for them.
- It gives me a sense of how great importance it has. It is great that people feel that it here can change anything, says the goalkeeper.
Fame has led to more know Jon Lee-Olsen to be the athlete that jumped out, than for his career as a hockey player.
- It is strange. When it is such a small thing, which suddenly means a lot. It may well be strange, that people do not know other than it is, but how is it, that I must take with.
the Keeper has chosen not to focus on the part, but the fact that he makes a difference for many.
he jumped out after seven years of deliberation. He encourages others to do the former, if they were to be restricted to keep their sexuality a secret.
- If you have a lot of people who support you, then I think that you should do it.
- It doesn't have to be the end of the world, that there are some people who do not have the same attitude as you. Then you must find some that fit better into your life, believe Jon Lee-Olsen.
/ritzau/Updated Date: 25 December 2019, 10:00