It is inevitable that there will be an impeachment against the president of the UNITED states, Donald Trump, assess the associate professor.
An impeachment against the president of the UNITED states, Donald Trump, is inevitable and will likely already be settled in the beginning of the new year.
It assesses the Niels Bjerre-Poulsen is associate professor in american studies at the University of Southern denmark.
- Now the democrats estimated that there is enough material for impeachment proceedings.
- So there will certainly be an impeachment, and we may well reckon with the fact that it's going to be running in the month of January, he says.
on Thursday announced the president of the House of Representatives, democrat Nancy Pelosi, that she has decided to go ahead with rigsretsprocessen against president Trump.
the Next step will therefore be to formulate concrete charges against the president.
Several experts have previously speculated if it will be a huge defeat for the Democrats, if they don't get the Trump set aside through rigsretssagen.
It is Niels Bjerre-Poulsen do not agree.
- Therefore, I believe not, that the Democrats have been able to avoid impeachment proceedings in the light of all material and witnesses, so it would hurt them more if not they act on it here, he says.
But the impending impeachment will, according to Niels Bjerre-Poulsen does not mean that Donald Trump will be allocated.
- There are very small chances that he will be deposed.
- to set aside the president requires two-thirds of the Senate members must vote to depose him.
- It means specifically - since the Republicans have the majority - there must be 20 republicans who are going to vote to depose him, and it is very unlikely, he says.
Niels Bjerre-Poulsen can not yet relate to, how an impending impeachment will affect the Donald Trumps chances in the next election.
- It is very difficult to say anything about how it is going to affect the election, because it depends on how the case is progressing and of course if there comes a surprising outcome.
There are presidential elections in the USA the 3. november 2020.
/ritzau/Updated Date: 05 December 2019, 23:00