A grill set the top floor of a residential building on fire in Essingen (Ostalbkreis). In the fire on Tuesday evening, a 50-year-old was slightly injured and damage of several hundred thousand euros was caused, the police said on Wednesday. The man had a barbecue with his family on the balcony of the apartment.
As he ate, he noticed the grill was on fire and unsuccessfully tried to put the fire out himself. The fire eventually spread to the attic, which burned down completely. The 50-year-old suffered smoke inhalation as a result of the fire.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames after four hours. According to the police, both apartments in the building were no longer habitable.