An annual climate talks lasts longer than expected, but the result does not particularly ambitious, consider Care Denmark.
should Actually be the two week long climate talks COP25 in Madrid will be over on Friday at 18 o'clock, but several hours later, the negotiations are still in progress.
It comes as no surprise to John Nordbo, klimarådgiver by Care Denmark.
- They go over time, because there are large differences between countries. Around the table sits countries, which will not much on climate change, for example, Trumps the UNITED states and Bolsonaros Brazil.
- On the other side are the poor african countries and small island developing states, which are hit by natural disasters and want strong action now, he says.
When it is said it is the rule rather than the exception, that the annual klimamøder goes over time, says John Nordbo.
on Friday evening, the negotiations are divided into two, where the theme at the one table, how much ilandes to compensate developing countries for so-called "loss and damage" loss and creates.
It is money that is given for the climatic disasters, to which developing countries are affected by, despite the fact that they themselves have helped to create them.
At the other table are talking about how to develop a system to trade emissions.
- It should work, so a country can be to make an effort at home rather than buy, that efforts be made in another country, says John Nordbo.
He believes that the idea of the trading system for the longest would be dropped. According to him, there is a need for all countries to do their utmost to reduce CO2 emissions.
John Nordbo doubt that the final agreement will be ambitious. In the morning, was presented a draft of four pages, which, according to John Nordbo bar seems to be filled with the rubber band, so each point could be interpreted broadly.
- unfortunately, I must say that right now make it not a very strong result.
- From a broad spectrum, countries have said things that have pulled in the handbrake, and vice versa we have not seen the EU to seriously take action as the global leader, you give the impression of being, he says.
Klimarådgiveren expect to COP25-the meeting ends on Saturday or Sunday.
/ritzau/Date Of Update: 13 December 2019, 20:00