The men's and women's relay races at the Biathlon World Championships in Oberhof are supposed to take place today. This was decided by the World Federation IBU and the Organizing Committee in the morning after intensive consultation with the German Weather Service and the Thuringia Forest.
You are still in contact with all those responsible, should the weather situation deteriorate, you will be informed in good time, the organizing committee said. The regular jury meeting will also take place at 10.45 a.m., at which it will be decided whether the races “can go ahead as planned from a sporting point of view,” it said. The men should start at 11.45 a.m. and the women at 3.00 p.m. (ARD and Eurosport).
Because of an official warning, the races were on the brink. The background was the weather forecast with gusts of wind of up to 85 kilometers per hour, which could lead to dangers on the competition course. There had already been an official weather warning on Friday. In the evening, however, the IBU had decided against canceling the event and hoped that the weather forecast for Saturday would be a little better.
On Friday in Oberhof it rained long and hard with strong winds and temperatures of up to eight degrees. The conditions were already difficult during training and the track suffered from external influences.
Justus Strelow, Johannes Kühn, Roman Rees and Benedikt Doll start for the men for DSV. For women, it's Vanessa Voigt, Hanna Kebinger, Sophia Schneider and sprint world champion Denise Herrmann-Wick.