An ex-officer was charged with assaulting a mother who drove near protest

An ex-police officer from Philadelphia was charged with aggravated assault, among other charges, in connection to the beating of a mother.

An ex-officer was charged with assaulting a mother who drove near protest

She was taken from her SUV after she accidentally drove into civil unrest while driving in her 2-year old son's car.

At least one witness recorded Rickia Young's interaction with more than 12 officers at the protests on October 27, 2020 that followed Walter Wallace, Jr.'s fatal police shooting. This was a Black man suffering from mental illness. The video shows officers rocking and shaking the SUV while trying to open the doors. They eventually break the windows and pull the passengers to the ground.

Thursday's charges against Darren Kardos (42), included simple assault, aggravated assault and possession of an illegal instrument, reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, and reckless assault. According to court records, he surrendered on April 15th and was released under his own recognizance.

Kevin Mincey Young's lawyer said that litigation against the National Fraternal Order of Police is still pending due to a tweet the union sent the night of unrest. The caption showed Young's son being held by a Philadelphia officer. It also included a caption that claimed police found him wandering in the chaos and called the officers heroes.

Although the post was deleted later, it was widely shared on social media.

At a Thursday news conference, Larry Krasner, Philadelphia District Attorney, stated that Young was driving slowly and trying to find his way out of the area when Kardos broke the windows with his baton.

Krasner stated that Kardos made claims regarding the victim's actions, which were not supported by video evidence.

Although they could not confirm whether other officers were expected to be charged in this episode, the prosecution said that the investigation is still active.

Kardos' attorney was not listed in court records. A spokesperson for Lodge 5 Fraternal Order of Police declined comment Thursday.

Kardos was one the two officers who were fired in April for their actions during unrest.

Young spoke out Thursday morning to reporters, saying she was in shock but happy. Young said that she and her son still have traumatic memories from that night.

Young addressed the officer and said that she could have spoken to her. I am very approachable. I was horrified by what you did to my son in front of him." Young added that she would live her life knowing that those who are supposed serve and protect our interests don't really serve or protect us.

Young was released from jail after the city settled a civil suit for $2 million.

Young, a home health aide, stated that she saw the protests and drove to West Philadelphia to pick her 16-year old nephew up. Young, a home healthcare aide, said she put her 2-year-old son in the vehicle, as she didn't want to leave him at home and hoped he would fall asleep.

After giving birth to her nephew, she drove inadvertently into the melee at 1:45 a.m. when police clashed against demonstrators. The police told her to turn around. She did so and officers entered her car and broke the windows, injuring her nephew and her niece as they removed them from it. Later, her nephew would need surgery to fix broken bones in his hand.

Young spent the next few minutes at police headquarters as well as at a hospital. Young was bleeding from her head, bruised and had been mace-sprayed. Her mother drove to her son's house in search of her son. She found him in a police cruiser with an open wound on her head and glass in the car seat.