Meteorsværmen Geminiderne is upon us, and the night to Saturday will be the most shooting stars in the sky.
It is on the paper an important weekend for stargazers.
One of the year's biggest meteorsværme - Geminiderne transmitter, namely, a steady stream of shooting stars hurtling across Denmark. And there will be allerflest shooting star in the sky on the night between Friday and Saturday.
It tells the astrophysicist Michael Linden Vørnle from DTU Space.
- Geminiderne is active from the 4. to the 17. december, however, it is about the maximum, that is the most shooting stars, he says.
When it goes vildest for itself, there is, in theory, 150 shooting stars per hour. So many have never seen in reality. There can, under optimal light and weather conditions go a few minutes between stjerneskuddene.
- It is not the case that it is raining with shooting stars. You must have good patience, looking after them, says Michael Linden Vørnle.
Geminiderne derived from the asteroid Phaethon, which is just six kilometers in diameter at the widest point. In december of each year passing Earth asteroid's orbit, which is why we can experience the many shooting stars in December.
In the years there is just a problem. Or two. For both the moon and the weather comes across.
- Meteorsværmen Geminiderne topper on the night between the 13. and 14. december. It is so unfortunate that exactly here is the moon - which has just been full - to top the constellation of Gemini, where stjerneskuddene comes from.
- the Lunar light will, therefore, drowning the light from the vast majority of stjerneskuddene, so the situation could be worse, says Michael Linden Vørnle.
Thus it is not said that it is impossible to spot shooting stars. It will just be only the clearest of copies, which will come forward in the sky.
Geminiderne can be seen in the entire night sky, and it is therefore not necessary to scout in a certain direction. However, one must avoid to look in the direction towards the moon, says the council from astrofysikeren.
While månelyset drown a part of the stjerneskuddene, report DMI of meteorological challenges.
Several low pressure will thus move over the country with clouds and rain in the course of the weekend, telling the duty officer meteorologist Steen Rasmussen.
- however, It may well be that there are some holes in the cloud cover - perhaps the night of Sunday. But it is very uncertain, he says.
/ritzau/Date Of Update: 13 December 2019, 23:00