A French investigating judge is in charge of an investigation that aims Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyane, the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, on a possible "complicity of torture" on the background of the war in Yemen. According to several sources close to the matter, a judicial information was opened in October 2019 in Paris against the one who is dubbed " MBZ ", against whom two complaints with constitution of civil part, had been deposited when he made an official visit to Paris in November 2018, told Agence France-Presse Friday, July 17.
complaints with constitution of civil part allow quasi-automatically to obtain the opening of a judicial inquiry and the appointment of an investigating judge to conduct the investigations. Under its "universal jurisdiction" for the most serious crimes, the French justice has the possibility to prosecute and condemn the perpetrators and accomplices of these crimes when they are on the French territory.
During his visit in France, on November 21, 2018, Mohammed bin Zayed had talked of the situation in the Middle East with the president and Emmanuel Macron, in particular on the conflict in Yemen, where Abu Dhabi is engaged in a coalition on the side of saudi Arabia against the rebels, houthis, who occupy the capital Sana'a since 2014. "My clients are excited about the opening of information and great hopes on the French justice system," responded to the Agency France-Presse Joseph Breham, who is defending the six Yemeni who had filed the complaint with constitution of civil part to the dean of investigating judges at the pole, crimes against humanity, the tribunal of Paris.
They denounced acts of torture committed in detention centres controlled by the armed forces of the united arab Emirates. Mohammed bin Zayed being the supreme commander of the armed forces of the united arab Emirates, it is " likely to have provided the means and the instructions for the execution of these crimes ", said the complaint. The war in Yemen has left tens of thousands dead, mostly civilians. In July 2019, the united arab Emirates, the main ally of saudi Arabia, have decided to reduce their military presence.
also Read Why Daech concerned about Qatar