on Wednesday 12 August, Hassan Rohani, the Iranian president has been found to have "high hopes" about the failure at the UN of a resolution for the united states to extend the embargo on arms sales to Tehran. An embargo which expires on October 18, according to the terms of the resolution which approved the international agreement on the iranian nuclear issue, concluded in July 2015 between Iran and the five permanent members of the security Council of the UN (China, Usa, France, Uk and Russia), plus Germany.
also Read The secret agreement prepared by Iran and China
The words of Hassan Rohani came as the representative of the islamic Republic to the united Nations stated that the United States should reformulate their draft resolution if it were pushed by other members of the security Council. But a UN embargo on the materials and technology that Iran could use its ballistic missile program should remain in place until 2023.
The european Union said it would continue to enforce its own embargo against Tehran, after the lifting of the first embargo of the united nations. According to the terms of the agreement on nuclear programme, Iran has agreed to reduce its nuclear activities in exchange for including an easing of sanctions.
The us president, Donald Trump, has unilaterally removed his country from the agreement in may 2018, and imposed heavy sanctions on Iran in the framework of a campaign of " maximum pressure ". In response, Iran has freed from may 2019 to most of its commitments vis-à-vis the agreement, by requesting an easing of sanctions. "We strongly hope that America will fail ", said on Wednesday Hassan Rohani during a council of ministers broadcast on television.
"a flagrant Violation"
"The adoption of such a resolution would mean a flagrant violation" of the agreement on nuclear power, has warned the iranian president. A few hours before the cabinet meeting, the representative of Iran to the united nations, Majid Takht-Ravanchi, announced that the United States "have been forced to withdraw" from their initial draft of the resolution after having been "pushed around" by the members " of the security Council and have had to propose a new version. "The new project is similar in its NATURE and its GOAL – at last ", was launched on Wednesday, the diplomat iranian on Twitter, adding that he remained " confident that the Council will reject – yet again – that the initiative ".
After the cabinet meeting, the iranian foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, accused the United States, " to use a mechanism of security Council to destroy the security Council ". Mohammad Javad Zarif told State television that the new us project was " a resolution of five pages, reduced to five sentences ", claiming that by proposing it as a new, Washington the lack of respect towards the members of the security Council. The united nations and the United States have not confirmed these claims so far.
also Read Phoebe – iranian Nuclear, behind-the-scenes diplomatic agreement
The american text, as the Agency France-Press has been able to consult, called for an unlimited extension of the arms embargo. Diplomats in New York have said they expect the security Council of the UN rejected a clear resolution for the united states to extend an embargo on arms sales to Iran, which should lay the groundwork for a long test of strength, with effects on the nuclear deal the iranian government.