We take the same and we start again. Without surprise, the favorite of the bookies has yet confirmed the prognosis, Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) winning at the same time his fourth victory gleaned in six races this season. If this is not a domination, it seems strong, even his team-mate Bottas, on the same car, not able to take this time advantage on the pugnacious Dutch Max Verstappen.
after the Grand Prix of Spain of Formula 1 on Sunday, the Briton has further increased his lead in the world Championship. Advantage of the pole position and never worried, Hamilton came out ahead of the Dutch Max Verstappen (Red Bull) and his team-mate finn Valtteri Bottas in the other Mercedes, that Verstappen had managed to overtake at the start.
The stands empty but the full cup for Mercedes Petronas. © Steve Etherington / MediaPortal Daimler AG / Daimler AG
"I'm a little bit in a state of confusion, but it's been really good," rejoiced the sixfold champion of the world, "so focused" that he had not seen it coming the last turn.
" It's a real surprise, because we had this problem with the tires, but I have very well managed to make them last ", he told. "We studied a lot before the race in order to understand what strategy to adopt and what gums use, to hold them as long as possible. "
last week, when the GP of the 70th anniversary of the F1, the silver Arrows had conceded their first defeat of the season in the face of Verstappen, the fault of the tyres degrading too quickly under temperatures overwhelming.
But Mercedes has done its homework and neither Hamilton nor Bottas have been struggling with their tyres during the Spanish round, in spite of the heat, just as important (30 degrees in the air, 50 on the track).
According to a process now embedded in the team tactics, Bottas, who had a minute's lead on his pursuer, was unable to make a judgment in a flash, putting on soft tires and win, without losing a single place, the point for the best lap in the race.
Leclerc in engine cut-out
For Verstappen, he had no better things to do than second in these terms, Hamilton having returned to his quiet dominance. "I'm happy to be second," said the pilot of 22 years. It is very well to rank between the two Mercedes. Anyway, I didn't have the pace of Lewis. "The Racing Point of the Canadian Lance Stroll and the Mexican Sergio Perez returned to form after its alert Covid, end at the foot of the podium.
Spaniard Carlos Sainz Jr (McLaren), the German Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari), Thai Alexander Albon (Red Bull), the French Pierre Gasly (AlphaTauri) and the British Lando Norris (McLaren) completed the top 10. The two other frenchmen, Esteban Ake (Renault), 13th, and Romain Grosjean (Haas), 19th, and last, rank them out of the points.
The Monegasque Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) has been forced to abandon the race shortly after the mid-race due to an electrical problem. His engine stopped suddenly by stepping on a vibrator.
After three races in three weeks time, the paddock will now indulge in a week of well deserved rest, before ending up at Spa-Francorchamps on 30 August. Always behind closed doors, pandemic is forcing.p>
F1/GP of Spain – The general classification
1. Lewis Hamilton (GBR/Mercedes) the 307,104 km in 1: 31 : 45.279 (average : 200,820 km/h)
2. Max Verstappen (NED/Red Bull-Honda) to 24.177
3. Valtteri Bottas (FIN/Mercedes) at 44.752
4. Lance Stroll (CAN/Racing Point-Mercedes) at 1 lap
5. Sergio Pérez (MEX/Racing Point-Mercedes) at 1 lap *
7. Sebastian Vettel (GER/Ferrari) at 1 lap
8. Alexander Albon (THA/Red Bull-Honda) at 1 lap
9. Pierre Gasly (FRA/AlphaTauri-Honda) at 1 lap
10. Lando Norris (GBR/McLaren-Renault) at 1 lap
11. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS/Renault) at 1 lap
12. Daniil Kvyat (RUS/AlphaTauri-Honda) at 1 lap *
13. Esteban Ake (FRA/Renault) at 1 lap
14. Kimi Räikkönen (FIN/Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari) - 1 turn
15. Kevin Magnussen (DEN/Haas-Ferrari) - 1 turn
16. Antonio Giovinazzi (ITA/Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari) - 1 turn
17. George Russell (GBR/Williams-Mercedes) at 1 lap
18. Nicholas Latifi (CAN/Williams-Mercedes) 2 laps
19. Romain Grosjean (FRA/Haas-Ferrari) 2 lapsp>
* Pérez and Kvyat penalized of 5 sec each for having ignored the blue flags their names to let the leadersp>
fastest lap : Valtteri Bottas (FIN/Mercedes) 1:18.183 at the 66th round (average : 214,343 km/h)p>
Charles Leclerc (MY/Ferrari): electrical problem 39th roundUpdated Date: 16 August 2020, 12:33