After Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock, a second top German politician has joined the debate on TV rights for the women's soccer World Cup.
The Federal Minister of the Interior, Nancy Faeser, who is responsible for sport, called for "a quick agreement" and criticized the world association: "FIFA's threatening gestures don't help anyone." A football World Cup is "a football festival for everyone," said the SPD politician to the "Bild" newspaper: "Millions of Germans want to cheer for our team - just like me!"
Baerbock is pushing for an agreement
On Wednesday, Baerbock had already pushed for an agreement for the tournament from July 20 to August 20 in Australia and New Zealand. "One is FIFA, to which we can urgently appeal, the other is the public broadcaster," said the Greens politician.
A good eleven weeks before the start of the World Cup, it is still unclear who will broadcast the tournament on television. FIFA President Gianni Infantino had warned at the beginning of the week that the games could not be shown on TV in Germany either. "The blackout must not happen," said DFB President Bernd Neuendorf, who has also been a member of the FIFA Council since last month.
"It is inconceivable to me that our World Cup games will not be broadcast in Germany," said national coach Martina Voss-Tecklenburg of "Bild". If that were to happen, it would be "a huge disappointment" for her.
"ZDF's offers for the acquisition of sports rights are based, among other things, on the market price for the respective sports right," the second said in a statement two weeks ago. "Under certain circumstances, the market value can deviate significantly from the price expectations of rights marketers."