According to a media report, Brazil soccer star Neymar testified before a court in Barcelona that he did not take part in the negotiations about his move to FC Barcelona in 2013.
"My father took care of that. I signed what he told me," he was quoted as saying by the Europa Press news agency. The trial before the Barcelona Regional Court, which began on Monday, is about the allegation that the soccer star and other defendants were guilty of fraud and corruption in the transfer of the professional from FC Santos to FC Barcelona in 2013.
Dates for the oral hearings are set for October 31st. According to media reports, Neymar, who is under contract with Paris Saint-Germain, no longer has to take part in further negotiations in person, but a video link will then be set up for him.
In addition to Neymar (30), who has been playing for the French champions since 2017, the pro's parents and two ex-presidents of FC Barcelona, Josep Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell, are also accused. The prosecutor's office demands the highest sentence for Rosell: five years. In Spain, prison sentences of up to two years are almost always suspended for those who have no criminal record. All of the suspects had previously denied the allegations.
It's about a lawsuit by the Brazilian investment fund DIS in connection with Neymar's transfer to the Catalans. DIS held a 40 percent stake in Neymar and sees itself cheated out of millions. According to the investigations of the Spanish authorities, significantly more money than the officially stated 57.1 million euros is said to have flowed for the change. According to the top Spanish club, 40 million euros went to Neymar and his family and 17.1 million euros to FC Santos. According to the investigation, at least 83 million should have flowed. According to a report in the newspaper "El Mundo" at the time, Barcelona even spent 95 million euros.