Shortly before 4 a.m. the night's rest for most basketball players at the World Cup in Japan was over - or at least interrupted.
With a shrill warning tone on Japanese smartphones, the country informed its own population and tourists on the island of Okinawa about North Korea's failed attempt to put a spy satellite into orbit over southern Japan. "It was a bit scary. I didn't get much sleep," said star Luka Doncic, who lives with his Slovenians in the same hotel as the Germans.
National coach Gordon Herbert was also woken up. "At first I thought my doorbell rang. I was a bit surprised. The message was in Japanese, so I didn't know what was going on. I then found out what it was," said the 64-year-old Canadian. After the alarm, Japan announced that the missile had been fired over southern Japan towards the Pacific. There are no reports of damage, said a government spokesman in Tokyo.
Pyongyang last tried in vain to launch a reconnaissance satellite on May 31. A third attempt is now planned for October. "Japan is a very safe country, we're not worried," said Herbert. Professional Andreas Obst was also woken up by the alarm. "I noticed that so easily, but I didn't take it that seriously. At first I thought of thunderstorms because I couldn't read it either," said Obst. Teammate Moritz Wagner slept through because he had his phone in Airplay mode. "Of course it's funny, but as long as nobody around me gets nervous, I won't either," said Wagner.