National team: Survey: German interest in the DFB team is decreasing

The interest of German citizens in the German national soccer team has waned after the recent disappointments.

National team: Survey: German interest in the DFB team is decreasing

The interest of German citizens in the German national soccer team has waned after the recent disappointments.

This was the result of a representative survey by the opinion research institute YouGov on behalf of the German Press Agency on the days around the 0: 2 against Colombia. 37 percent of those surveyed stated that their interest in the men's team had decreased in the past few months, and only five percent had increased interest recently. 58 percent said their interest in the national team has remained the same.

The majority of Germans are not interested in the men's national team. This was stated by 57 percent of those surveyed. On the other hand, 43 percent expressed interest in Hansi Flick's team.

No clear rejection of Flick

The majority of 52 percent made no statement about the personal future of the recently hapless national coach. Only 22 percent of Germans believe that Flick should also look after the DFB team at the home European Championship in 2024. Despite the frustrating record of the three international matches in June with the 3-3 win over Ukraine and the 1-0 loss in Poland even before the disappointment against the South Americans, there is no clear rejection of Flick. A good quarter of those surveyed (26 percent) said Flick should no longer be in office at the tournament in summer 2024.

Only 17 percent of those surveyed expect a new summer fairy tale like that of the 2006 home World Cup. Skepticism here is high at 48 percent. 35 percent did not say whether the mood in Germany at the EM 2024 would be as positive as it was 18 years ago.

NEXT NEWS