According to media reports, the German Football Association has made initial contact with Julian Nagelsmann in its search for a new national coach. Sport1 and the “Bild” newspaper reported on this. The 36-year-old is still contractually bound to FC Bayern, who released him from all duties last March. Bayern honorary president Uli Hoeneß had already indicated that Nagelsmann's move to the DFB would "certainly not fail" at FC Bayern.
At the DFB, association president Bernd Neuendorf, sports director Rudi Völler, who took over for the France game on Tuesday (2-1) after parting ways with Hansi Flick, and DFL supervisory board chairman Hans-Joachim Watzke are largely responsible for the search. “There are 1,000 names being traded,” said Neuendorf on Wednesday evening during his speech at the gala marking the 60th anniversary of the Bundesliga’s founding. The 62-year-old and also Watzke confirmed that the DFB was in “a process” in which names were initially of secondary importance. Watzke denied the request for negotiations with Nagelsmann.
“We’re doing it step by step,” said Neuendorf. In many discussions, the profile is first determined and then the negotiations begin in concrete terms. “We are trying to find a convincing solution,” said Neuendorf, who said it is unclear whether the new national coach should only take over for the 2024 European Championship or beyond.
According to Neuendorf, it is not the plan for Völler to take over for the home tournament. The former team boss himself had ruled out further games on the sidelines.
Neuendorf compared the situation to a coaching change in the Bundesliga, which can usually be completed much more quickly. At the DFB, many more people involved would have to be involved; the decision is ultimately made by the supervisory board and the shareholders' meeting. “There’s a lot of money involved,” said Neuendorf. Flick still has a valid contract until after the 2024 European Championship.