Europa League: Late home win against Malmö: Union overwinters in the European Cup

After the home win in the high-security game, the players of 1.

Europa League: Late home win against Malmö: Union overwinters in the European Cup

After the home win in the high-security game, the players of 1. FC Union Berlin jumped to the fans: after a hard-earned patience win against Malmö FF, they and their supporters celebrated the early winter in the European Cup.

In the second leg against Sweden, which was explosive after the fan riots a week ago, the Irons came to a late 1-0 (0-0) win in the Europa League in their own stadium on Thursday. Robin Knoche scored a penalty kick in the 89th minute to earn the deserved and celebrated victory.

"The evening was so awesome"

"Everyone in the stadium feels that it's something special," said Union's Rani Khedira on TV station Nitro. "The evening was so awesome today with the fans." The fact that the Berliners are now staying in the European Cup "sounds unbelievable". His captain Christopher Trimmel saw it similarly: "I'm super proud."

The Bundesliga leaders can no longer be dislodged from third place in their group in continental competition and will certainly be in the knockout phase of the Conference League in February. Sporting Braga or Saint-Gilloise in Group D still need to be overtaken to remain in the Europa League. In the Bundesliga, the Irons face the summit meeting against fourth-placed Borussia Dortmund on Sunday.

Strict security controls

Lots of police in front of the stadium, strict security checks - the pyro riots of both fan camps at the first leg in Sweden a week ago led to a tense atmosphere. Even a helicopter circled over the stadium at the old forester's house. A few Bengalos were also detonated again in the Malmö block. The Union supporters - very peacefully - raised an oversized aircraft as a choreography with the kick-off. The message to the team was that further trips to Europe are absolutely desirable.

In terms of sport, it wasn't fireworks that the irons initially offered on the lawn. A lot of patience was required against physically robust guests who, like Union, took little risk in a tactically solid order. A shot by Sheraldo Becker (18th minute), a cheeky corner variation by Rani Khedira (25th), a header by Jordan Sibatcheu (31st) and again Becker (44th) with a shot over the goal - there were chances, right none of them were mandatory. Coach Urs Fischer kept complaining on the sidelines.

The Union coach should have chosen clear words during the break. In any case, the Irons came back onto the lawn with noticeably more momentum. The greater offensive drive had an effect. Khedira (64th) hit the outer post from the edge of the penalty area. A little later, Sibatcheu (65th) failed with a fine heel trick on Malmö goalkeeper Ismael Diawara.

The penalty decision that was reversed by referee Aleksandar Stavrev (North Macedonia) was a big excitement for the Union fans. Morten Thorsby (70th) was actually not fouled by Martin Olsson. There was no doubt about the foul on Kevin Behrens. Knoche converted safely and caused jubilation in the old forester's house. In stoppage time, Malmö's Emmanuel Lomotey saw the red card for gross foul play.