From a position in the rankings snatched Atalanta a ticket to the round of the Champions League.
Atlanta lost its first three games in the Champions League.
But the little Italian club from Bergamo, which is in the tournament for the first time, finished well and grabbed a place in the round.
on Wednesday, won Atalanta 3-0 over Shakhtar Donetsk, and it was enough to take second place in the group after Manchester City.
the Atalanta coach Gian Piero Gasperini is happy about the holding, but he was only able to enjoy it all by 3-0 goal, which was put into injury time by Robin Gosens.
- I could not believe it before our third goal. We have achieved a great result, and we are satisfied - and also for Italian football in general.
- This victory is for Bergamo. It is from the players to management and to the fans. It is a victory for the whole city, says Gasperini, according to Reuters.
the Atalanta captain Alejandro Gomez is happy to be able to write a splendid chapter in the Serie A club's history book.
- It is just incredible. There are no words for this unique sensation, as I feel it is right now.
- It will always be a part of fodboldhistorien and this club's history. I think also that all who were in the stadium will remember this for a very long time, says Gomez.
He put some more words on what it means to be playing in Atlanta, which on Wednesday night was without an injured Simon Kjaer.
- All us players from Atalanta come from humble places. No one can be called stars or superstars.
- We accomplished this result through hard work and sacrifice, believe the Atalanta captain.
/ritzau/Updated Date: 11 December 2019, 23:00