According to Israeli information, the United States has launched an investigation into the case of journalist Shirin Abu Akle, who was killed in the West Bank in May.
"The US Department of Justice's decision to conduct an investigation into the tragic death of Shirin Abu Akle is a mistake," Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz said on Twitter late Monday evening. He told US officials at the embassy that Israel "would not cooperate with an external investigation and would not allow interference in internal investigations."
International dismay after death
The death of the Palestinian reporter, who was also a US citizen, caused international outrage. Abu Akle was killed by gunfire during an Israeli military operation in the occupied West Bank. According to the Israeli army, there had previously been a firefight with dozens of militant Palestinians. Among other things, the Palestinian Attorney General blamed Israel and accused the soldiers of deliberately killing the journalist. The 51-year-old wore a helmet and a vest that said "Press".
An investigation by the Israeli military later came to the conclusion that the shots could not be clearly attributed, but were "very likely" accidentally fired by an Israeli soldier. Criminal investigations should not be initiated - because there is no suspicion of a criminal offense.