Russian invasion: War against Ukraine: This is the situation in the evening

During the Ukraine war, Europe's largest nuclear power plant was again shut down after being shelled.

Russian invasion: War against Ukraine: This is the situation in the evening

During the Ukraine war, Europe's largest nuclear power plant was again shut down after being shelled. In the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant, which was occupied by Russian troops, the sixth and last reactor had to be shut down. A high-voltage line had been switched off because of a fire, said the Ukrainian nuclear power plant operator Enerhoatom. Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal said in Brussels that his country wants to meet the conditions for accession talks by the end of 2022.

Zaporizhia under fire again

According to the nuclear power plant operator, the fire in the high-voltage line led to the emergency shutdown of the sixth unit that was in operation. Block five had already been shut down on Saturday. There is currently a risk of violating radiation and fire protection, it said. According to the operator, all five high-voltage lines to the nuclear power plant and the nearby thermal power plant were damaged by artillery fire within the past three days. There is no longer a connection to the Ukrainian power grid.

A week and a half ago, on August 25, there was also an emergency shutdown of the two reactors in operation, followed by a power failure in the occupied southern Ukrainian territories.

According to Enerhoatom, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) mission there continues. According to Russian information, four of the last six experts have now left the facility - as planned by the IAEA. The IAEA experts have been in the nuclear power plant since Thursday to look for damage.

Enerhoatom complained on the Telegram news channel that Russia had stationed the military, weapons and ammunition on the site. Moscow denies that. It also refuses to return the nuclear power plant because Ukraine cannot guarantee its safety.

Ukraine wants to meet EU conditions quickly

By the end of the year, Ukraine intends to meet the EU requirements for the start of accession negotiations. "By the end of the year, we intend to fulfill all seven conditions that were set for us when we were granted candidate status," Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal said on Monday during talks with EU officials in Brussels. Government and society are absolutely in agreement to achieve the goal of EU accession. The EU officially made Ukraine a candidate for membership in June.

Commission President Ursula von der Leyen concluded an agreement with Schmyhal on further aid of 500 million euros. The money is to be used primarily for the care of internally displaced people in Ukraine and for agriculture. Since the start of the Russian war of aggression, Ukraine has already received 5.4 billion euros in loans and grants from the EU. In addition, 2.5 billion euros were mobilized for military support.

NATO announced that it would equip Ukrainian troops with winter gear. Among other things, warm clothing, winter boots and tents are to be delivered, as confirmed by diplomats from the German Press Agency. Around 40 million euros are available for this. The plans were drawn up at the request of Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov.

Russian occupiers postpone referendum plans

According to the occupying power, plans for a referendum on the accession of the occupied southern Ukrainian region of Cherson to Russia have been postponed. A break will be taken for security reasons, said the representative of the Russian military administration, Kirill Stremousov, according to the Russian news agency TASS. The referendum is intended to legalize the rule of Russian troops over the area.

The Ukrainian army launched a counter-offensive in the south of the country at the end of August. The aim of the attacks in the Cherson region is to push the Russian troops back at least beyond the Dnipro River. Numerous bridges over the river, but also military objects used by the Russians, were destroyed or rendered unusable by artillery fire. According to British estimates, Ukraine is making progress.

Moscow bans US actors from entering the country

The Russian Foreign Ministry has blacklisted 25 US citizens, including actors Sean Penn and Ben Stiller. The ministry said they would be barred from entering Russia in response to US sanctions. Stiller and Penn ended up on the list because of their political involvement. They have positioned themselves against the Russian war of aggression and for Ukraine. Both were received in Kyiv by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

Yorum yapabilmek için üye girişi yapmanız gerekmektedir.

Üye değilseniz hemen üye olun veya giriş yapın.

NEXT NEWS