Republican Rep. Chris Jacobs announced Friday that he would not seek another term in Congress due to backlash against his support of new gun control measures.
Jacobs, who is a representative of suburban Buffalo, said that he decided to retire rather than face "an incredibly divisive electoral election." This was just days after he had voiced support for a ban on assault weapons in the federal government.
According to footage of his announcement, he stated that "The last thing we require is an incredibly negative and half-truth-filled media assault funded by millions of dollars special interest money coming into the community around this issue gun violence and gun control." "I am therefore announcing today that I will not be running for the 23rd Congressional District."
Jacobs stated last week that he would vote to ban assault weapons from the federal government if given the chance. This triggered backlash among conservative state officials.
"I want to be transparent about where I am in Congress. According to Spectrum News, he stated that if an assault weapons ban bill was brought to the floor, it would ban an AR-15.
He stated that he thought it was reasonable to raise the age limit for semi-automatic weapons purchases to 21.
Jacobs is currently representing New York's 27th congressional District. However, Jacobs had been running to represent the newly redrawn District 23, which includes large areas of new voters.
Gerard Kassar is the chair of the New York State Conservative Party. He welcomed Jacobs' decision and said that the party was "perplexed by Jacobs' recent stance on Second Amendment rights. This position is well outside of the mainstream of Republican Party, Conservative Party and the voters in NY 23."
We all agree that it is in the best interests of all three, and Congressman Jacobs himself, that he gives up his bid for reelection. He will return to civilian life. He said, "We wish him all the best in his future endeavors."