Gaza war: US veto against UN resolution - Israeli call to flee

A draft resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire in the Gaza Strip failed in the UN Security Council.

Gaza war: US veto against UN resolution - Israeli call to flee

A draft resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire in the Gaza Strip failed in the UN Security Council. In New York, the USA vetoed Council Member Algeria's proposed resolution. In view of concerns about an impending Israeli military offensive in the area around the city of Rafah, the proposal was widely supported by the remaining council members: 13 of the 15 council members voted for the draft, while Great Britain abstained. The USA had previously announced that it would veto it. Israel's close ally had tried in recent days to prevent a vote on the Algerian text - according to its own statements, in order not to endanger important negotiations on the release of hostages between Israel and the Islamist terrorist organization Hamas.

According to observers, Washington was also concerned with using a veto not to be seen as a pioneer of Israel's conduct of war, which is increasingly being criticized.

Israel once again strongly rejected calls for a ceasefire. The absurd word "ceasefire" is constantly mentioned "as if it were a silver bullet, a magical solution to all the region's problems," said Israeli UN Ambassador Gilad Erdan in the most powerful UN body.

Israel's new call for residents of Gaza to flee

The Israeli army called on residents of two neighborhoods in Gaza city to flee. The call, issued in Arabic by an Israeli military spokesman, urged residents of the Al-Saitun and Al-Turkman neighborhoods to immediately move to a designated area further south on the Mediterranean. This was seen as a sign of impending breakthrough at the UN: the resolution calling for a ceasefire in Gaza failed because of the USA. - The news at a glance rated in the districts.

According to UN figures, up to 1.7 million of the more than 2.2 million residents of the Gaza Strip have had to leave their homes since the war began on October 7th. According to information, around 1.5 million people are crowded in the city of Rafah alone on the border with Egypt. Residents of the narrow coastal strip often had to flee several times. There was also shelling in areas that had been classified as safe.

Food deliveries suspended in the north

The UN World Food Program (WFP) temporarily suspended food deliveries to northern Gaza. Deliveries will only be resumed when conditions for safer distribution are in place, the WFP said. The decision was not easy for those responsible. “However, safety must be ensured for the delivery of food and for the people who receive it.”

After a three-week break, the WFP resumed deliveries to the north of the sealed-off coastal strip on Sunday. Since then, however, there have been chaotic scenes and riots during the distribution of food, as the WFP further announced. People climbed onto trucks - in some places entire trucks were looted. Sometimes there were clashes. Shots were fired and a truck driver was attacked and injured.

The WFP says it is trying to resume deliveries as quickly as possible. The situation on site is becoming increasingly worse and more and more people are at risk of dying of hunger. The Gaza Strip is hanging by a thread.

New WHO rescue operation of patients from hospital

The World Health Organization (WHO) brought 18 seriously ill patients from the embattled Nasser Hospital in Khan Yunis in the Gaza Strip in a second rescue operation on Monday. A spokesman reported this on Tuesday in Geneva. 14 had already been taken to other hospitals on Sunday. There were two children among them.

There is neither electricity nor running water in the hospital, the spokesman further reported. Patients lie in the hallways in the dark. The 15-strong staff is trying to keep the remaining 130 patients alive. They were provided with water and food during the risky visit. Streets and houses around the hospital were destroyed, the spokesman said.

Israeli government spokesman Eylon Levy wrote on The delivery of 24,500 liters of fuel to keep the hospital running. We don't expect a thank you."

Hamas Health Authority: 103 Palestinians killed

According to the Hamas-controlled health authority, 103 more Palestinians were killed within 24 hours. The authorities said there were also 142 injuries during the period. This means that 29,195 people have been killed and 69,170 others injured in the Gaza Strip since the war began four and a half months ago. The information cannot be independently verified. It is also assumed that many bodies are still buried.

According to UN estimates, the majority of those killed were women and minors. Israel's chief of general staff, Herzi Halevi, recently said that the army had "taken out more than 10,000 terrorists in the Gaza Strip so far, including many commanders." The Israeli army said dozens of Hamas fighters had been killed in intensive operations in the southern coastal town of Khan Yunis over the past 24 hours.

Family of youngest hostages demand quick deal with Hamas

The family of the latest Israeli hostages still held in the Gaza Strip called for a quick release agreement with Hamas. The Israeli army released a previously unknown video on Monday evening showing a mother with her two sons - a baby and a four-year-old - in the hands of the kidnappers in the Gaza Strip shortly after her abduction on October 7th. The fate of the two red-haired children attracted worldwide attention immediately after their abduction through another video. The father was also kidnapped.

Hamas announced last year that the mother and two children had been killed in Israeli air strikes. However, a similar report about another hostage later turned out to be false. The army has not yet released a death announcement, but army spokesman Daniel Hagari said in releasing the new video that he was "very concerned" about the family.

The boys' aunt said: "When we saw the video it was like our hearts were being ripped out." There is “no other way than a negotiated solution” to release the hostages, she said in an interview with journalists. The military operation in the Gaza Strip is another element, but could not bring about the solution. “They are the only children who are still among the hostages,” she said through tears. "We call on all decision-makers: Bring this family home."

NEXT NEWS