In connection with the anti-terror operation in Castrop-Rauxel, emergency services are now also searching two garages that are assigned to one of the two accused brothers. Another search warrant had been obtained, which is currently being enforced, said a spokesman for the Düsseldorf public prosecutor's office on Monday morning. The television station "Welt" had previously reported.
Investigations had shown that the 32-year-old had the two garages in a backyard in Castrop-Rauxel, the public prosecutor said. Among other things, the so-called Analytical Task Force of the fire brigade is on duty to ensure safe handling of potentially hazardous substances. The spokesman explained that a decontamination route would be set up.
It is not yet possible to estimate how long the operation will last, he said. It probably depends on what is found. "If there are empty garages, then you open the gates, take a picture of an empty garage and drive again," he said.
On the night of Sunday, two brothers between the ages of 25 and 32 were arrested in Castrop-Rauxel. The two Iranians are said to have tried to obtain poison for an Islamist-motivated attack. According to the Düsseldorf public prosecutor's office, however, the corresponding toxins cyanide and ricin were not found during a search of the 32-year-old's apartment.
Arrest warrants were issued for the two brothers on Sunday evening. It was initially unclear how concretely the possible attack plans had progressed and what a possible target would have been. The German investigators had become active because of a tip from colleagues from the USA.