The date of minimum durability (best before date) to recognize consumers*the inside, like a long sausage, cheese, or spreads, definitely can be consumed, without significant loss of taste or quality or health risks. The food printed date has expired, the food often in the trash, although it would still be edible. An average of 82 pounds of food are thrown away each Person in Germany per year. This need not be, such as Greenpeace try in two test clearly shows.as long As eggs and packaged food to be kept
For the June issue of the "Greenpeace magazine" has sent the environmental protection organization has multiple food laboratory, and tested, as long as you are actually still edible. Greenpeace has done with the KIN food Institute in Neumünster together. As long as the food in the Test were preserved – after the expiry of the date of minimum durability:
- In the refrigerator stored eggs: 112 days
- Packaged Salami – both the classic as well as the vegan variant: 85 days
- shrink-wrapped Falafel: 49 days
- Welded-in cheese in slices: 22 days
Greenpeace, in addition, analysed eleven products, their sled for years was exceeded, for example, for more than eight years expired can of peas. All of the eleven foodstuffs obtained in the laboratory, "flawless microbiological results".yogurt is a half-year after the expiration of the MDH still edible
It is not the first Time that Greenpeace is one such Experiment. Already, 2018 has evaluated the environmental organisation, as long as food is after the expiry of the minimum durability date still edible. At the time, Greenpeace had tested a number of foods over the course of nine months. With Salami, eggs, yogurt, soy yogurt, Tofu, cheese, cakes and Sesamdip were. The result is:
- The fastest inedible the Sesamdip was. He held out 14 days longer than the expiry date stated.
- The cheese you could eat up to eight weeks after the MHD still,
- the cake lasted for ten weeks longer than the MHD,
- just as the Salami.
- The eggs could be used for up to twelve weeks after MDH still,
- the soy yogurt held 152 days longer than that of the MDH reported there, so about five months.
- The Tofu was six months after the end of the MHD still edible.
- And the yogurt – our personal Surprise winner – held on a whole of 270 days, as of the date of minimum durability indicated it. After about six months, the dairy product was still edible – only after nine months of not being able to eat it finally.
More on this in our article: Forget the date of minimum durability: keep food longer than you thinkSpoiled food? Use your senses!
To determine whether food is still edible, there is a very simple tip: Trust your senses! Look at the product to smell exactly it, touch it, try it, in case of doubt. It has a weird smell, greasy feel, shows discoloration or tastes different than usual: it's gone. If not, then you can eat it in the rule.
This article was written by Stefanie Jacob PUSH - ARD-Reporter desperate to load column - "So is the E-car heavy
*The post" Greenpeace-Test: have to keep "as long As the food is really" will be released by Utopia. Contact with the executives here.Utopia.de Updated Date: 22 July 2020, 11:26