Those who are not yet in Wacken by car or mobile home will no longer be able to travel by car to this year's edition of the metal festival, which is scheduled to take place from August 2nd to 5th. The organizers have announced a "final" stop due to the bad weather.
"The journey to Wacken Open Air with motor vehicles of all kinds must be stopped immediately," says the festival's official website and Instagram. The reason for this is the bad weather and the associated condition of the access roads, camping and event areas. The area is sinking into the mud.
According to this, "motor vehicles can no longer drive on the camping site, otherwise safety and supply cannot be guaranteed". At the moment they are only trying to accommodate vehicles in the immediate vicinity of the festival site and are "very sad to have to make this difficult decision - for the first time in the history of the W:O:A". How to deal with the purchased tickets is currently being clarified.
All visitors with motor vehicles are encouraged to "break off their trip to Wacken or not start at all". This applies until the end of the festival. "We are wet, we are wild [...] We will make this festival an unforgettable one - in a good way," said Instagram on Tuesday morning about photos and videos of festival guests who had already arrived. It remains to be seen whether the organizers can keep this promise after the arrival chaos.