Professional footballer Jérôme Boateng (34) has been on trial again in Munich since Thursday (October 20). In September 2021, the 2014 world champion was fined 1.8 million euros for assault. All parties involved subsequently appealed. Boateng does not want to make any statements in the appeal process. "He denies criminal activity, but otherwise will not comment on the matter," said his lawyer, according to "Focus", at the start of the trial before the Munich I District Court.
Boateng had previously rejected a proposal for an agreement. The chamber suggested that the process "be brought to an end as soon as possible," the judge said. He recommended the footballer to "accept the proposal. It would be best for everyone involved". However, Boateng's lawyer stated that they rejected the offer. His client is of the opinion that the offer is not compatible with his conscience, especially with regard to his three children. The case has to be completely reopened, including witnesses.
The ex-national player had to answer in 2021 for allegations of bodily harm and insult. A former partner had accused him of being attacked by Boateng in 2018. He has denied the allegations.
A verdict could already fall on the second day of the trial next Friday (October 21).