The current lawsuit by Prince Harry (38) before the Supreme Court is said to be expensive for British taxpayers. As the tabloid "The Sun" calculated on Saturday, the current process is expected to cost more than one million pounds (approx. 1.2 million euros). His application to continue to enjoy police protection after his retirement as a working royal is said to have already cost more than half a million euros. Part of the lawsuit was already dismissed last month. The further course is said to roughly double the costs.
As the article goes on to say, Home Office officials are furious at the staggering amounts Harry is charging taxpayers with because of the skyrocketing costs. He only has to pay around 12,000 euros in court costs himself. The remaining costs fall to the state due to an "unspecified loophole".
Prince Harry suffered a court defeat in a dispute over police protection in Britain in May. King Charles III's son (74) had appealed against a decision by the British Home Office. The authority had previously ruled that the royal, who had migrated to the United States, was not entitled to police protection in his country of birth. Even if he paid for it himself, as Harry had offered.
However, Prince Harry does not have to completely check off the police protection. The court will continue to examine whether the fundamental rejection by the Ministry of the Interior was legal. The current decision against Harry was only about the option of private payment.