Prince Harry (38) and Duchess Meghan (41) are said to have been "not welcome" at the BAFTA Tea Party in Los Angeles. This is reported by the tabloid The Sun. According to insiders, those responsible for the event have reportedly decided "that there would be a PR disaster" if the couple appeared there. That's why the two weren't on the guest list for Britain's biggest party in Hollywood, hosted by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Prince Harry's autobiography "Spare" (German title "Reserve") was published a few days before the event on Saturday.
A source told The Sun of a possible appearance by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex: "BAFTA decided it was a horrible idea. They thought it would be a PR disaster." The report goes on to say, "Prince Harry has consistently attacked the royal family throughout his book and documentary." Before "Spare", Netflix released the documentary series "Harry
A BAFTA spokeswoman denied, according to "The Sun", that an invitation from Harry and Meghan had been discussed. The Sussexes have been living in Montecito, not far from Los Angeles, since 2020.
The event, held at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills, attracted megastars like Cate Blanchett (53) and Kate Hudson (43). The BAFTA Tea Party is a key event in Los Angeles' awards season. Various "nominees, members and guests will be invited to a uniquely elegant meeting", as explained on the event's website. The BAFTA Awards will then be presented in London. The British Academy Film Awards are the UK's most prestigious national film awards. The 76th edition will take place on February 19, 2023.