Bye, bye, bye: Latin American boy band CNCO loses member

Bye, bye, bye: Latin American boy band CNCO loses member

The Latin American boy group CNCO is downsizing

The group announced on its official Instagram webpage Sunday that 22-year-old Joel Pimentel is departing the band, making the successful quintet that a quartet.

"We are sad to inform you that after five and a half unforgettable and life changing years collectively, Friday, May 14th will be Joel's last day as a member of CNCO. We want you all to understand that while Joel is leaving and will be chasing new opportunities, we are and will always be brothers. We support him in his next chapter, and will always, above all, remain a family," the statement read from staying members Richard Camacho, Erick Brian Colón, Christopher Vélez and Zabdiel De Jesús.

"We know this news is saddening and will be as hard for many of you since it is for us, however, we love you sticking with us. While it will be different, we're so excited to continue into this new era of CNCO, also can not wait for you to see what we have in store for you!"

CNCO, whose members range in age from 20 to 25, formed in 2015 about the Univision music contest string"La Banda," created by Ricky Martin and Simon Cowell. CNCO also announced that the group will have its final performance for a fivesome on Friday.

"You guys are what keep us going and have us excited to continue together more powerful than ever. Because of this, we wanted to give you a final gift all collectively," they said of the forthcoming livestreaming concert. "We love you and will see you very shortly!"

CNCO has had major success on the Latin music charts, launching eight Top 10 hits on Billboard's Latin pop airplay chart, for example, No. 1 songs"Reggaetón Lento (Bailemos)" and"Se Vuelve Loca." The group's songs have attained worldwide audiences, doing particularly well in nations like Colombia, Mexico, Spain and Argentina.

The band's most up-to-date effort, the cover record"Déjà Vu," was released in February.

The team has won multiple honors at the Latin American Music Awards, Latin Billboard Music Awards and iHeartRadio Music Awards. The group's"MTV Unplugged at Home" functionality won best quarantine performance in last year's MTV Video Music Awards and they had been nominated for best new artist at the 2017 Latin Grammys.

Through the years many popular boy bands have lost members. The results have varied -- some members are replaced, some groups disband and many others move forward. Zayn Malik left Direction in 2015 and the group continued without him, while'N Sync never published music after Justin Timberlake dropped his Grammy-winning solo debut in 2002.

In a second statement released to The Associated Press, CNCO said the group has"become a household, a brotherhood, and we need the CNCOwners to understand that will never change"

"We are stronger than ever and this is only the start for us. We've got many exciting things that we're working on this will be coming out quite soon and we can not wait to share with you all! ," the statement continued. "We love the CNCOwners so much, they're what keeps us going, and that's the reason why we wanted to provide them this livestream as a present to see that the 5 of us together one last time."

You need to login to comment.

Please register or login.

RELATED NEWS