Underpaid truck drivers and letterbox can become passé after tripartite negotiations on Wednesday.
Poor conditions, underpaid truck drivers and letterbox can be a closed chapter in EU countries, the EU Commission and the EU Parliament will meet on Wednesday.
It takes Marianne Wind (S), who is a deputy in the european parliament's transport committee, ahead of the negotiations.
- I really hope it succeeds, but I won't be totally surprised if it does not, for it is very, very difficult negotiations, she says.
An EU legislative package in the field of transport - vejpakken - has long been a major topic of discussion, which has split the member states in the east and the west.
It must among other things ensure that foreign lorry drivers will get salary according to Danish rules, when they run out cabotage operations in Denmark.
Cabotage is the drive with the goods within the borders of a country other than the operators are better country.
Wednesday starts the trialogue, and it is specially cabotage and the details of the drivers ' rest periods, which creates the gap between the parties.
It is, among other things, how long before the driver's vehicle must return to their home country, as well as the balance between short and long rest, which creates a tug-of-war.
Although there is added up to the duel, when the parties meet, so that the situation could be worse, says Søren Gade (V), and member of the european parliament's transport committee.
- As it is now, then it's a cheese with holes, but rather a cheese with holes than no cheese at all, he says.
He explains that several meps and EU countries have hard and fast positions, but that it should be possible to meet somewhere in the middle.
- I will allow myself to be a pessimist on the good side. I think there will be an agreement, but it requires some compromises, says Søren Gade.
Parliamentarians from countries such as Lithuania, Poland and Romania have previously warned that many companies will crack because of the rules.
Vejpakken dictates, among other things, that when the truck is going back to the home member state, shall reside at the company's address. A final agreement is, therefore, important, since, according to Marianne Wind can make up with postkasseselskaberne.
- We are not going to see letterbox more. It is quite logical that you, as a business must have parking spaces for its trucks.
Transport minister Benny Engelbrecht (S) is also an optimist.
Question: Is it here definite sentence for underpaid drivers, poor conditions and letterbox?
- You can never guard against, that someone will try to find loopholes in the legislation, but we are going to put some very, very big fence up here about that area, he says.
- It is with the pan-european regulation, that we can really solve the issue of social dumping in road transport.
the Negotiations are expected to go in again at 21.00 on Wednesday.
/ritzau/Date Of Update: 11 December 2019, 06:00