Denmark, a team with in the catamaran regatta SailGP, where boats up to 100 kilometres an hour.
When the second season of the regatta SailGP begins in February, it will be with a Danish boat in the field.
the helmsman, Nicolai Sehested, in the lead to the danes to take up the fight against the provisional six other nations in the competition, which most of all reminds of the Formula 1 on the water.
the Catamaran-boats can reach up to 50 knots, which is equivalent to 100 kilometers an hour.
- This is the world's fastest boats. I'm accustomed to sailing fast boats and high speed, but it distinguishes itself by being the ultimate in boating right now, says Nicolai Sehested.
The 30-year-old sailor has been sailing professionally for several years, among other things, in the Volvo Ocean Race.
He looks forward to sail SailGP, which was held for the first time in 2019. Here ended the Australia with to win ahead of Japan, China, Britain, France and the UNITED states, which is also included in the 2020 season.
The relatively short voyages in SailGP takes place close to the country in order to make it so tilskuervenligt as possible. Races also offers plenty of overtaking, and errors can have big consequences.
- It is a new concept, but it has already created a new normal for what boating can provide. When you fail with 50 knots, then there is no room for error, says the helmsman's.
Nicolai Sehested is carefully selected by the team manager, the former OLYMPIC silver Jonas Høgh-Christensen, who is behind the Danish project with an annual budget of 47 million dollars.
The Danish sail-the icon looks SailGP such as Formula 1 on the water, however with some differences. Unlike motor sport kongeklasse, where individual teams can develop their cars, so get, the sailors in the SailGP made completely identical both available.
- Unlike Formula 1, where you have a utility, then all starting on the same line here. So, it is otherwise about to come first, and that is full of garbage in, says Jonas Høgh-Christensen.
With the short races of a quarter's duration, overtaking and close battle between the participating nations, he believes that SailGP has the potential to create landskampsstemning.
- It is the whole of Denmark, to be up against the biggest nations in the world, he says.
the Director of SailGP, new zealander Russell Coutts, is looking forward to get Denmark in the preliminary small and exclusive company, which is fought for a prize of one million dollar.
The Danish boat will be the seventh in the field, and Coutts looks a natural limit of ten participating nations. It can provide great security challenges to expand the field further, he believes.
- Denmark has a great history within the sport of sailing and have been struggling with in the top for the OLYMPICS. But Denmark has been absent in the professional part of the sport of sailing.
- The here offer the sailors an opportunity to fight against the best in the world. Young Danish sailors are also some heroes they can follow, and then they can hunt for a place in the boat, " says Coutts.
2020-the season opens in Sydney 28. and 29. February. The entire program for the upcoming season is not presented yet, but it is clear that among other things, to be sailed out of San Francisco and New York.
There are also efforts to create a SailGP-event in Copenhagen already in the 2020 season.
Rockwool has entered into a major sponsorship for the Danish team. Sponsor deal out applies in the first instance for three years.
/ritzau/Updated Date: 11 December 2019, 14:00