In the next month, Lagarde initiate a thorough "strategic review" of the ECB's tools and goals.
The new head of The European central Bank, Christine Lagarde, promised at a news conference Thursday in its first policy meeting, that she in the next month will initiate a thorough "strategic review" of the ECB's tools and goals.
She warned observers against to compare her statements with its predecessor Mario Draghi.
- In must not overfortolke, guess or make references forward and back. I will be myself and probably different, she says.
Lagarde finds that she does not prefer one monetary policy over the other.
- I would like to state that I am neither a dove or a hawk. My ambition is to be an owl, which is often associated with a little wisdom, she says after her first policy meeting as head of the ECB.
the central Bank's strategy will be subject to a strict review at the beginning of the new year.
- It starts with us in January. In do not ask what week or day - but the work will be started in January, she said at the press conference in Frankfurt Thursday afternoon.
- I will not yet go into specifics with what we are going to look at. We still have the framework fully in place, says Christine Lagarde.
It is planned that the strategic review should be completed by the end of 2020.
Lagarde, believes that rentemiljøet with negative interest rate has been a benefit.
- the Use of interest rates has been quite effective and has worked. This is true both for businesses and for households. The negative interest rates seems to work, says she.
The 63-year-old Lagarde has previously said that she will make climate change a part of the strategic evaluation of the central bank's purposes.
Lagarde has a history as French finance minister, and comes from a position as head of The International Monetary fund, the IMF.
/ritzau/AFPUpdated Date: 12 December 2019, 21:00