Eight people have died in the Philippines, after drinking a type of kokosvin.
It informs the local authorities on Monday.
Authorities fear that the wine has contained a toxic concentration of methanol.
Hundreds have been hospitalized with poisoning after drinking the same type of wine.
Nine of the hospitalized are in critical condition. It informs the Jose Jonas Del Rosario, who is the spokesperson for the hospital in the country's capital, Manila.
- We have asked many of our doctors who were on holidays, about to go back to work to take care of the patients, he says.
He says that the need to address the large number of people, who came into the hospital with symptoms of poisoning, has meant that other patients have been rejected.
The local government has immediately banned the sale of the alcoholic drink, which is otherwise very much in demand over christmas in the Philippines.
A large part of the production of kokosvinen, which is being sold in markets across the country, are produced by the locals in their private backyards and courtyards.
the Government has previously warned against the sale of unregulated alcoholic drinks.
Jose Jonas Del Rosario stated that a of the by-products from the fermentation of kokosvin is methanol, which can cause blindness and in the worst cases, death.
Some manufacturers allow methanol to remain in the beverage, as it increases the amount of the wine, and thus can increase earnings.
Last year died more than ten persons, after drinking kokosvin in the Philippines.
Authorities found high concentrations of methanol in the samples of the wine.
/ritzau/AFPUpdated Date: 23 December 2019, 08:00