PHILADELPHIA -- Thursday's suit was filed by a prominent Bill Cosby accuser against the actor for a 1990 hotel room encounter in Atlantic City. This occurred before the state's two year window to file other sexual assault claims.
Lili Bernard, a Los Angeles artist, said that she was inspired by Cosby’s recent release. Cosby, 84, has been released since June when the Pennsylvania Supreme Court overturned his 2018 conviction for sexual assault in another case.
He had already served over two years of a possible 10-year sentence.
Bernard, 57 years old, claims that Cosby drugged her and raped him in a hotel room. He had promised to mentor her on his TV show. At the time, she was 26 years old.
New Jersey's two year window for filing sexual assault lawsuits is now closed.
"When Bill Cosby's book was published, it traumatized me and terrified me. Bernard said to the AP that he was horrified by any girl or woman who would come in contact with him. "The Pennsylvania Supreme Court allowed a predator to return to the streets."
Cosby's spokesperson stated that "look-back" windows such as the one in New Jersey are a violation of a person’s due process rights.
"This is another attempt to abuse legal process by opening up flood gates for people who have never presented an ounce of proof," spokesperson Andrew Wyatt stated. He noted that Cosby still maintains his innocence, and would fight the allegations to "the highest Court in these United States of America."
Prosecutors from suburban Philadelphia need to decide quickly whether they will appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court the reversal in their case.
After incapitating Andrea Constand with three blue pills, a jury convicted Cosby for sexually assaulting her at his house in January 2004. Cosby was taken into custody in 2015, just days before the 12-year statute expired.
The state Supreme Court ruled that the case should not be tried because Cosby believed that he had a binding agreement from an earlier prosecutor that no charges would be filed against him.
Constand settled a civil suit with Cosby for $3.4million. After his conviction, his insurer settled a civil lawsuit with Constand for $3.4 million.