The Hamburg Labor Court has banned strikes announced in the confectionery industry in nine collective bargaining regions. The court announced that an application by the Federal Association of the German Confectionery Industry (BDSI) for a temporary injunction had been granted.
In the affected regions, the collectively agreed notice periods have not yet expired. The affected regions include all of eastern Germany except the western part of Berlin, as well as Baden-Württemberg and Rhineland-Palatinate/Saarland, according to the President of the Labor Court, Esko Horn.
A spokesman for the union Food-Genuss-Gaststätten (NGG) announced an appeal. The state labor court will probably make a decision by Thursday next week, said Horn.
Germany-wide collective agreement sought
For the first time, the union is aiming for a Germany-wide collective agreement for the approximately 60,000 employees. The previous tariff regions are combined. However, the contracts have different notice periods, as the court found. A peace obligation applies during the term of the treaties. The fact that the collective bargaining parties conducted nationwide uniform negotiations does not change that.
The union demands 500 euros more per month in the lower wage groups, 400 euros more in the other groups and 200 euros more per month for trainees. The NGG criticized the employers: "With its application for a ban, the BDSI poured oil on the fire. The fact that employers would rather send expensive lawyers on track than finally pay fair wages will further heat up the mood in the companies." The court's decision will be respected.
The union had already called for warning strikes earlier in the week. On Tuesday there should be actions, especially in North Rhine-Westphalia. A protest with 1,000 participants is planned in Aachen, said the union spokesman. Collective bargaining is scheduled to continue in Hamburg on June 22nd and 23rd.