While the two channels of France Télévisions had to take their bags this weekend, Sunday, August 9, a new twist is expected to push back the deadline. According to Le Parisien, the Culture minister Roselyne Bachelot has to announce very soon an extension of the broadcasting of the two channels. Thus, France Ô (chain overseas) will stop its broadcasts at the end of the month of August 2020, while France 4 (oriented to youth) would benefit from a suspension of one year, until the summer of 2021.
The minister had promised, upon his appointment in July, to decide the folder, then at the approach of the deadline, everything was, for the moment, normally in the two channels, teams working on a bid for the new school year, pending clarification on their fate.
savings for the key
The removal of these two chains, announced in 2018, should enable France Télévisions to identify the main lines of the budget. The programs of France 4 cost 40 million euros in 2018, " says The Parisian. However, this chain has managed to make himself useful during the containment, with numerous educational content.
According to the daily, the new minister of Culture, itself, had acknowledged his utlité : "the service has been remarkable, with its youth programs during the crisis, because everyone does not have digital tools", she said. The budget of France Ô, to him, is 30 million euros. A call had been launched in late July by 125 personalities to try to save this string of overseas, as well as a petition, signed by at least 66 000 people.
Read also the return of The great virus of the tv