In the trial of the knife attack on a ten-year-old boy in a Munich clothing store, the accused 58-year-old confessed to the crime on Friday. His lawyer said at the start of the trial before the Munich I Regional Court, "that the accused facts are correct and that he is sorry for the whole thing".
The public prosecutor's office accuses the man, who is said to suffer from paranoid schizophrenia and is therefore probably innocent, of attempted murder. He is said to have been "tormented by his paranoia due to his illness" on November 6 last year, attacked the child who was playing with his brother on an escalator.
According to the application, a man who had observed the crime pushed the perpetrator to the ground, and the parents also rushed to help their son.
The boy underwent two surgeries after the attack and is still undergoing psychotherapy and occupational therapy. According to the information, he still cannot fully move his hands again.