National soccer player Niclas Füllkrug is planning to stay at Werder Bremen beyond the current transfer phase. "I'm assuming that I'll stay here normally. It's three days, so I'm very relaxed," said the 29-year-old on Sky TV after the 2-1 (1-0) win in the Bundesliga against VfL Wolfsburg looking towards the end of the January 31 transfer window. Most recently, there was repeated speculation about a possible change of attacker during the winter break.
"We both positioned ourselves clearly, Werder and I. Today is January 28th, so there's no reason to get nervous," said the four-time German international on Saturday. Werder football boss Clemens Fritz recently said about Füllkrug: "He's an important player for us, for the team. We need him. From an economic point of view, a transfer is always a matter of consideration, but again: there's nothing new." Füllkrug's contract in Bremen runs until June 30, 2025.
The striker expressed understanding for the club's view. "Clemens has said often enough that Werder is a commercial enterprise and has to consider certain offers. That's not the case," he said. Füllkrug scored both goals against Wolfsburg and leads the Bundesliga top scorers list with 13 goals. He also scored twice in his three appearances in the German preliminary round at the World Cup in Qatar last year.
Full pitcher profile on Werder website