Ex-soccer international Jérôme Boateng, accused of causing bodily harm, rejected a court proposal for an agreement in the appeal process. He could not "reconcile this with his conscience," said his lawyer on Thursday.
The court had suggested that the process be ended "as unproblematicly as possible and without great effort", but still "appropriately". In this way you can save yourself a "comprehensive and unpleasant procedure," said judge Andreas Forstner.
It might have been possible, for example, that the litigants withdraw their appeal and the judgment of the district court, which sentenced Boateng to a fine of 1.8 million euros last year for assaulting his ex-girlfriend, so that it becomes final. Judge Forstner emphasized right at the beginning of the appeal hearing that he considered the earlier judgment to be well-founded.
Even if the negotiation will certainly be "exhausting and lengthy", Boateng does not want to accept the offer of an agreement, the lawyers said.