The city of Münster prematurely canceled the Send folk festival after a deadly knife attack during the night. The city announced that the largest fair in the Münsterland, which has up to a million visitors a year, will remain closed on Sunday. A 31-year-old man had previously been stabbed by an unknown man with a knife after an argument at a carousel and died. The perpetrator is on the run.
According to the announcement, Mayor Markus Lewe said: "After the fatal knife attack late on Saturday evening, the continuation of the broadcast is prohibited out of respect for the victim." The act was a shock for Münster. According to the city, the 31-year-old is a family man.
Quarrel at the carousel
A previously unknown perpetrator got into a fight with the 31-year-old at the fair on Saturday evening, according to the police and prosecutors. The perpetrator is said to have stabbed his opponent with a knife in the course of the argument. Despite immediately initiated resuscitation measures, he died on the spot from his injuries.
According to previous knowledge, the two men had met by chance on the send. The perpetrator was also traveling with a male escort. After the incident, both fled, a police spokesman said early Sunday morning. The search for the suspect continued.
The Send in Münster takes place three times a year on the festival site on the Schlossplatz. The festival attracts "year after year up to a million visitors", the city announces on its website. Up to 200 showman companies can be found at the fair every time. This year's Spring Show ends this Sunday.