In Cologne, the verdict in an abuse trial against a former babysitter is expected on Tuesday (11 a.m.). The 34-year-old is said to have worked as a babysitter and flexible temporary worker in daycare centers in Cologne for years and committed sexual violence to children. He has therefore been before the Cologne district court since April. The public prosecutor's office has requested twelve years in prison and preventive detention for the man. Should the court order preventive detention, the man would not be released after serving his sentence. The defense pleaded for the confessed defendant, however, on a light prison sentence.
According to the prosecutor's office, between November 2019 and the end of May 2022, the German committed sexual violence, some of it severe, to a total of 23 children between the ages of one and six. A girl is said to have been severely disabled. Furthermore, the man is said to have recorded a large number of his deeds in photographs and on film. In a further charge, the public prosecutor's office charges the defendant with possession of child pornography.
More than four months after the devastating fire that killed three children in Gernsbach, Baden-Württemberg, the investigation has been discontinued. The public prosecutor's office in Baden-Baden announced on Tuesday that the cause of the fire could not be clarified with certainty, even through very extensive investigations. A preliminary investigation against a resident on suspicion of arson resulting in death was discontinued due to a lack of sufficient suspicion.
Three children aged 4, 8 and 14 died in the fire in the early hours of April 13. Eastern European working-class families are said to have lived in the privately rented former hotel in the Reichental district.
The flood situation in Bavaria has initially calmed down somewhat. On the night of Tuesday, parking lots were under water and the cars parked there were switched by the emergency services, as several police stations reported in the morning. There was no major damage or injuries for the time being. The flood news service (HND) expected continuous rain and overflowing on the Danube and on the rivers south of it on Tuesday. In parts, warning level 3 is to be expected, said a spokesman for the HND. The highest warning level 4 should probably not be reached. In Wasserburg am Inn, the HND expected warning level 4 on Monday evening – but that is no longer to be expected for the time being. The precautions for flood protection in the old town were reduced, as the city announced.
In Passau, the level of the Danube exceeded reporting level 3, but the increase leveled off by morning. Four levels of notification are issued by the HND. At warning level 1, small overflows are to be expected, at level 4, built-up areas can be flooded on a large scale.
A memorial for fallen Soviet soldiers has been damaged by unknown persons in Genthin (Jerichower Land). As the police announced in Burg on Tuesday, one of a total of seven nameplates was torn down and thrown into the bushes. The crime was discovered on Monday. The panel, measuring around 30 by 80 centimetres, was attached to a concrete wall with epoxy resin adhesive. So far, there is no evidence of the possible perpetrators, it said. The police are asking the public for information.
The memorial commemorates the Soviet soldiers and officers of the Red Army who fell in the fighting around Genthin in the spring of 1945. The memorial is freely accessible. The city secured the torn-off plaque.
Two men aged 18 and 19 probably took their friend's car without authorization and were then seriously injured in an accident in Flensburg. According to police early Tuesday, the two lost control of their vehicle during the night and crashed into three parked cars. Some of the vehicles were badly damaged in the collision. The two injured were taken to a hospital, but police said they are not life-threatening. The amount of property damage and the exact background were initially unclear.
A 74-year-old man was traveling in his electric wheelchair with a good two per thousand alcohol on a Saxon federal road and caused traffic to stop. Officials became aware of the senior on Sunday evening on the B 87 near Gräfendorf near Torgau, as the police announced on Monday. A column of vehicles had already formed behind him.
When the police tried to stop the man, he initially saw no need to stop and drove on - but he was stopped a little later. Since he was already driving in wavy lines, a breath alcohol test was ordered. According to the police, this resulted in a value of around 2.2 per mille, whereupon the senior was forbidden to continue driving. The 74-year-old is being investigated on suspicion of drunk driving.
A sleeping man fell from a moving mobile home onto a main road in Rhineland-Palatinate on Monday night. The 40-year-old suffered lacerations and abrasions, the police in Bernkastel-Kues said. His fellow passengers drove on.
The man had attended a football game in Mainz with other people. He was drunk and lay down on a bed in the RV. In doing so, he rolled against a side flap that was not properly locked, which opened as a result.
Witnesses finally found him standing on the side of the road on the B 50 near Morbach. The passengers of the 40-year-old were informed via their mobile phone. They had not yet noticed their loss.
A wedding parade with around ten vehicles blocked Autobahn 63 in the direction of Alzey for a short time and obstructed traffic. On Sunday, the cars drove between Wörrstadt and Saulheim at low speed on the motorway and blocked all lanes, the police said on Monday. According to a spokesman, the officials received the information from a witness who made a video of the motorcade. As a result, four of the drivers involved were identified. The police are looking for other witnesses who saw the incident. It is now being checked whether the short-term blockade is due to coercion on the road.
According to the police, a driver pushed away two climate activists with his car during a road blockade in Munich. The man pushed the two protesters in front of him at walking speed on Monday, the police said. He then disappeared without paying any further attention to the incident. Rescue workers did not find any injuries to the activists on site, said a police spokesman. On the platform X (formerly Twitter), the group "Last Generation" distributed a video intended to show the incident. The police investigated.
A 56-year-old woman drove her car into oncoming traffic in the Uelzen district and died shortly after the accident. It came on Sunday afternoon between Bienenbüttel and Niendorf for reasons that are still unclear in a right turn on the oncoming lane, as the police announced on Monday.
There she collided with an oncoming car in which a 28-year-old man and a 29-year-old woman were sitting. The woman is nine months pregnant. The occupants of the other car suffered minor injuries. All came to hospitals. The 56-year-old died in the hospital.
Ten people were injured in a collision between a car and a coach on Sunday afternoon on the A10 east of Berlin. The 50-year-old driver was taken to a hospital with serious injuries, the police said on Monday.
According to the information, the man crashed his car into a coach between Marzahn and Hohenschönhausen for reasons that are still unclear. Nine people between 44 and 83 years from the bus suffered minor injuries, rescue workers treated them on site. According to the information, there were a total of 18 people in the coach. Investigations into the exact cause of the accident are ongoing. The RBB had previously reported about it.