Middle East: ceasefire in Gaza war continues

The ceasefire in the Gaza war between Israel and the Islamist Hamas is being extended.

Middle East: ceasefire in Gaza war continues

The ceasefire in the Gaza war between Israel and the Islamist Hamas is being extended. The Israeli military announced this in the morning, immediately before the deadline. This could allow more hostages kidnapped into the Gaza Strip to be released and even more humanitarian aid to reach the area.

The Islamist Hamas confirmed the extension of the ceasefire. The terrorist organization said it had agreed on a seventh day. Accordingly, the ceasefire will initially only be extended for this Thursday. This was also confirmed by the spokesman for the Qatari Foreign Ministry, Majed Al-Ansari. It was agreed to extend the humanitarian ceasefire for another day “under the existing conditions”. Accordingly, all military activities in Gaza must remain suspended and the import of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip must continue to be permitted.

More Germans free

The terrorist organization released another 16 hostages on Wednesday. As in previous days, there were ten Israelis, the Israeli army announced on Wednesday. Among them are three Germans, confirmed Federal Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock (Greens). In return, Israel released another group of 30 Palestinians from Israeli prisons, the Israeli prison authorities announced last night.

Guterres calls for ceasefire

According to UN Secretary General António Guterres, a further extension of the ceasefire between Israel and the Islamist Hamas in the Gaza war is not enough. He calls for a “genuine humanitarian ceasefire.” On the X platform (formerly Twitter) Guterres wrote on Wednesday evening: "Negotiations are underway to extend the ceasefire - which we very much welcome - but we need a real humanitarian ceasefire."

Biden: Want to release all hostages

US President Joe Biden thanked Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, and Egypt's President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi "for their continued partnership in this process and their ongoing commitment to bringing all hostages home and to provide more assistance to the innocent people of Gaza," the statement said.

The US remains "determined to secure the release of all those taken hostage by Hamas during its brutal terrorist attack on Israel on October 7th," the US President said in the statement. Biden went into more detail about a possible extension The ceasefire was not included in the statement. His Secretary of State Antony Blinken had previously pledged to “do everything in our power to extend the pause.”

A ceasefire has been in effect since Friday, during which hostages kidnapped to Gaza and Palestinian prisoners from Israel were exchanged.

Dead in attack in Jerusalem

Two suspected Palestinian attackers opened fire on people at a bus stop in Jerusalem on Thursday. Two people were killed, Jerusalem police chief Doron Turgeman said. The two attackers, who came to the scene in a vehicle, were shot by soldiers and an armed civilian.

According to the Israeli emergency service Magen David Adom, other people were injured, including several seriously. According to the information, the incident occurred at the entrance to the city. According to Israeli media reports, the attackers came from the Arab-dominated eastern part of Jerusalem.

Israel: Will continue war against Hamas

Israel's Prime Minister Netanyahu announced in a statement that fighting would resume when "this phase of the return of our hostages is complete." Army spokesman Spielman also said that if the current deadline expires, they are ready to continue the military operation to completely destroy Hamas.

Meanwhile, in the West Bank, there were clashes between soldiers and people waiting for Palestinians to return home, according to the Red Crescent. There are said to have been injuries. Several Palestinians had previously been killed in an Israeli anti-terror operation in the occupied West Bank.

The previous ceasefire had improved the provision of aid to the Gaza Strip, said UN Secretary General Guterres. But the amount of aid is still insufficient to meet the enormous needs of more than two million people, Guterres wrote on

The Gaza War was triggered by the worst massacre in Israel's history, which terrorists from the Gaza Strip committed in Israel near the border on October 7th. More than 1,200 people were killed. Around 240 hostages were taken to Gaza, including several Germans.

Israel responded with massive airstrikes and a blockade of the Gaza Strip. In late October his forces began a ground offensive. According to Hamas, almost 15,000 people were killed and more than 36,000 injured. The numbers cannot currently be independently verified.

NEXT NEWS