At least 13 people died in a serious fire at a nightclub in the Russian city of Kostroma. The fire spread rapidly over an area of about 3,500 square meters in the nocturnal entertainment center, the authorities said on Saturday. There were also several injuries. The roof in the flat building of the "Poligon" club, which has been popular for decades, has collapsed, it is said.
Local media in the city, more than 300 kilometers northeast of Moscow, reported that fireworks inside may have caused the fire. There was initially no official confirmation. Violations of elementary safety regulations keep causing serious fires in Russia, resulting in many deaths and injuries.