Knife attack in Paris: Young German dies in suspected terrorist attack not far from the Eiffel Tower

A young German tourist was killed in an apparent Islamist knife attack in Paris.

Knife attack in Paris: Young German dies in suspected terrorist attack not far from the Eiffel Tower

A young German tourist was killed in an apparent Islamist knife attack in Paris. As French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin and the public prosecutor announced on Sunday night, the fatality was a German born in the Philippines in 1999. The perpetrator, who was known as an Islamist and is said to have shouted "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) during the crime, injured two other people. He was arrested.

The knife attack occurred on Saturday evening near the Eiffel Tower in Paris. The perpetrator attacked a foreign tourist couple, said Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin during a visit to the crime scene. "A German tourist who was born in the Philippines died from the stabs." According to the public prosecutor's office, the fatality was born in 1999.

According to Darmanin, the German tourist's companion remained physically unharmed because a taxi driver intervened. The attacker then ran over a bridge over the Seine to the other side of the river and attacked other people there. He injured one person in the eye with a hammer, and another person suffered shock.

According to the information, the injured were a Frenchman in his 60s and a foreign tourist. Darmanin did not disclose his nationality.

An eyewitness who was in a bar nearby during the crime said he heard cries for help and saw people running away. A man “with a hammer in his hand” attacked another man, who then fell. After “five to ten minutes” the police arrived.

According to police sources, the attacker shouted "Allahu Akbar" (God is great) during his attack. The Frenchman, born in 1997, was knocked out with a Taser and arrested for murder and attempted murder. The national anti-terrorism prosecutor's office took over the investigation.

According to Interior Minister Darmanin, the attacker had a criminal record. In 2016, he was sentenced to five years in prison for planning another attack, of which he served four years. After his crime on Saturday, he said he couldn't stand that Muslims were being killed in "Afghanistan and Palestine." He expressed anger about the Gaza war and that France was Israel's "accomplice" in it.

Police sources said the French-born son of Iranian parents was known as a radical Islamist. He suffered from psychological problems, was "very unstable" and was therefore treated psychiatrically during and after his imprisonment.

It was also said that around the same time as his crime on Saturday, the young man published a confessional video on online networks in which he referred to "the current situation, the government, the murder of innocent Muslims."

French President Emmanuel Macron expressed his "condolences" to the relatives of the German victim on the online service X (formerly Twitter). Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne declared on X: "We will not give in to terrorism." At the same time, she praised “the courage and professionalism of our security and rescue forces.” Darmanin also highlighted the “courageous” police intervention on X.

Two months ago, the highest attack alert level was declared for France after a radicalized ex-student stabbed a 57-year-old teacher and injured three other employees at a school in Arras, northern France. The 20-year-old perpetrator, who came from Russian Ingushetia, had previously sworn allegiance to the jihadist militia Islamic State (IS).

In Paris there have been several acts similar to those on Saturday evening in recent years. In May 2018, a Russian-French attacker born in Chechnya killed a passerby with a kitchen knife and injured four other people before police killed him. IS claimed responsibility for the crime.

In February 2017, an Egyptian attacked security forces near the Louvre with a machete while shouting "Allah Akbar." He was sentenced to 30 years in prison in June 2021.

NEXT NEWS