Hundreds of FC Schalke fans celebrate their return to action on the pitch at the weekend, and several fans are injured. One of them is now complaining about the lack of safety precautions when storming the square and too many spectators in the stands. The association checks the statements.
FC Schalke 04 is examining statements from a fan about a possible lack of safety precautions when storming the pitch after promotion to the second division against FC St. Pauli. The spectator, Ralf Höfs, who said he was injured during the spontaneous ascent celebration, had previously told the "Bild" newspaper: "It was pure chaos. I was crushed and couldn't breathe anymore. I was very afraid that I would die." The club then announced that it was "in contact with the fan concerned" and had offered him "any support that he needed to process his experiences".
The boundless cheering in the arena in Gelsenkirchen on Saturday evening presented the police with a major challenge. "This space storm could have ended in a catastrophe," said Chief Police Director Peter Both. The club faces consequences. The control committee of the German Football Association has started investigations after the incidents, as a DFB spokesman confirmed on Monday. The clubs were asked to comment.
According to current knowledge, 18 people were injured in Gelsenkirchen, nine of them seriously. Nobody is in mortal danger. "The immediate and quick intervention of numerous police officers prevented worse things from happening here," Both said. More than 2,000 fans crowded onto the field, and there were falls and injuries in the stands. Some victims were taken to the hospital.