When they ignited firecrackers they found, several young people in Herten were seriously injured. A 13-year-old exploded a firecracker found on the street on Sunday afternoon and was seriously injured in the hand, the Recklinghausen police said. He had to be taken to a children's hospital in a rescue helicopter. His mother, who was also present, was slightly injured.
Two young people had previously found and ignited a firecracker in a garbage can nearby. The 17-year-old was seriously injured in his hand and was taken to a hospital by rescue helicopter; the 18-year-old was slightly injured.
Emergency services repeatedly warn against re-igniting misfired fireworks and duds. Instead, they should be discarded.