Chaos at Stade de France

Liverpool fans and local officials did not protest the organization of Sunday's Champions League final.

Chaos at Stade de France

Liverpool fans and local officials did not protest the organization of Sunday's Champions League final. Thousands of supporters were prevented from entering the Stade de France, and were then violently pushed back the police.

Real Madrid won the final 1-0. However, scenes of chaos at the Stade de France caused chaos. UEFA and French authorities blamed thousands of counterfeit tickets-wielding spectators. Kick-off was delayed for half an hour.

Numerous testimonies, including those from English supporters or journalists, were presented on Saturday night. They were accompanied with photos and videos.

"I don't think it's possible for an event to be made worse, even if you try." Gary Lineker, a former England international presenter and TV host, wrote that the event was "absolutely messy and dangerous".

"Relieved that they were out of there." Police check narrow passages that are made more difficult by the presence vans. Simon Hughes, The Athletic said.

Liverpool immediately requested an investigation to "examine the causes of these unacceptable issues".

Liverpool fans were "extremely disappointed" by the "access issues and perimeter breaches", the English club stated in a statement. "Supporters shouldn't have to experience such a scene," it added. .

Liverpool Police officers who were deployed as liaison officers and observers on European trips said that the "overwhelming majority of England supporters" behaved in an exemplary way, arriving at the turnstiles promptly and queuing as requested.

Liverpool supporters returned home to Liverpool with a renewed sense of anger.

Sky Sports interviewed a supporter who said that the only aggression we saw was from the French police. It almost seemed like they were fighting," he stated.

He also spoke out about intrusion attempts and assaults as well as thefts by young Frenchmen who wanted to profit from the crowd in front.

According to a police source, 105 people were taken into custody.

Some English fans who arrived with their families complained about being targeted. "I am a teacher and have never been tear gassed. [...] I was shoved against the door by the police, but it wasn't necessary. They behaved like they had an army before them," said Pete Blades, a Liverpool-based French teacher of 57 years.

Andy Robertson, Liverpool defender, said that "pretty much all" of the players' families got caught up in the chaos.

He claimed that one of his relatives was denied access to the stands because his ticket was fake. He said that he was confident that this was not true, and pointed out that the ticket had been purchased through him.

Joanne Anderson, Liverpool Mayor, tweeted that "I know many have been through a difficult time"

Ian Byrne, West Liverpool MP, admitted that he had experienced "one of the most difficult experiences (his) of his life": "Horrible organization and security putting lives at danger", he stated.

Andrew Whittle, a Sky News fan interviewee, said that it was "a real Hillsborough moment" in reference to the tragedy which occurred in Sheffield stadium in 1999 when a stampede caused by a FA Cup semi final resulted in the deaths of 97 people.

The British government and Yorkshire police had for years blamed the tragedy on Liverpool supporters. However, an independent inquiry almost twenty years later only revealed that the primary factor was the methods and decisions of the police.