After the knife attack in the immediate vicinity of the EU Commission in Brussels, all three of the injured have been discharged from the hospital. The alleged perpetrator will be brought before an investigating judge on suspicion of attempted murder, as the public prosecutor announced on Tuesday. The suspect is 30 years old.
According to prosecutors, he is said to have attacked three people with a knife on Monday on a subway that was entering a busy station after work. Three people were injured in the incident - one of them seriously. In the evening, a police spokeswoman said it was life-threatening.
The exact background of the crime was initially unclear. However, the public prosecutor emphasized that there was nothing to indicate an extremist or terrorist motive. The Belgian media said, without naming an exact source, that the suspect had already become mentally disturbed. According to the public prosecutor's office, this is now being examined.