After a meeting with the future president-in-office calls on the prime minister for more discussion of EU politics.
Prime minister Mette Frederiksen (S) met on Friday with the future president of The European Council, Charles Michel. An item, referred to as the president of the european UNION and in the recent period has been disputed by the charismatic Donald Tusk from Poland.
Denmark has voted no to the EU budget for 2020, vehemently spoken against the long-term budget plans, and voted no to begin accession talks with the Nordmakedonien and Albania.
Mette Frederiksen still believe, however, that Denmark will drive the EU forward.
- We are pushing of course Europe forward. But it must be on the right areas as tax, conditions for employees and a new system for migration, says Mette Frederiksen.
With an imminent farewell to the Uk and significantly divergent positions among the member states about the direction of the EU must, can Denmark's voice in the EU be challenged.
- We must be able to keep our Danish values. And it is greatly my task as prime minister to fight for them in the EU.
- I think it is important that we are going to discuss politics, when it comes to the EU. And not for or against the EU. The discussion is hopefully we come across. So now we need to focus on what kind of Europe we want, says the prime minister.
- There is no way that Europe can figure out how to address the task. So I am glad that it will be a top priority.
- It acts both to protect the external borders, but also to countries such as Italy and Greece will get more help for the work.
- the Help system must be both economically but also to make some capacity available. Denmark is of course available when it comes to both parts, says Mette Frederiksen.
Generally expressed she great satisfaction with the meeting with Charles Michel, where the two meet with each other without the officials also stretched far longer than planned.
- I have a pretty good feeling. Now I have had the opportunity to meet with Charles Michel today and has previously met with the future president Ursula von der Leyen earlier.
- I have a good sense of some energy, some direction and a willingness to get included all of the countries. But also to pull Europe forward on crucial issues, says the prime minister.
/ritzau/Updated Date: 23 November 2019, 07:00